Saturday, January 17, 2009

A day to catch up

Here it comes, the flood of words, coming and going, in and out, back and forth, read and write it is all here and there.

I'm just now getting a chance to catch up with the rest of the country.

I think that I worked 45 hours this week. It seems like much more because of the split shift nature of my work. I get up at 0400 to walk and feed my dog, pet my kitty, take a shower, drink coffee and have a minimal breakfast so that I can drive the 7 miles to work and start work by 0600. My route ended at 0835 and then for 4 days this week I had field trips that started at 0831 and lasted until 0945. Then I would have an hour or so break, unpaid and sign back on at 1100 until about 1230 at which time I would drive the 7 miles back to my apartment, walk the dog, eat lunch and then drive back to work to sign on at 1440 to complete my route by 1715 at which time I would sign on as a bus fueler to work another hour and a 1/4 or so. On Fridays it is more like 2.25 hours and I got home last night about 2030 so that I could walk my dog, feed him, pet the kitty and eat dinner, watch a little TV which is not something I have been able to do all week.

All the news has been abuzz with all the news of the coming inauguration, the US Airways flight that did an emergency water landing where all the crew and passengers survived.

I'm glad I have some knowledge of aviation. It seems the general public has either some knowledge or just stays away from knowledge about aviation until there is a mishap, an accident or catastrophic failure of a major component such as an engine or a double bird strike causing both engines to fail. Those of us who have an aviation passion or once had one which is my case have had enough training to understand what took place with the crew of that aircraft.

I'm grateful that I didn't have to deal with the added tragedy of an airline crash before the huge occasion of the inauguration of 44 President of the United States.

Of course, there are many tragedies occurring throughout the world right now and the new President has already been getting the briefings about them for some time. Everything will unfold and hopefully we will continue on a path of HOPE!

No comments:

Post a Comment